Dec 23, 2010

The Slave Trader who wrote "Amazing Grace". Letter to my son

Common Sense Commentary: Today, my son Rex forwarded to me a letter written in 1778 by John Newton to his friend entitled, "Like Coins From The Same Mint". John Newton, who wrote the beloved song, " Amazing Grace", was a wicked slave trader before his acceptance of Jesus Christ as his Saviour and forgiveness of his sins. His letter was reprinted by Grace Gems and sent out to their subscribers. I will first give you, my readers, my reply to my son, Rex, and then John Newton's letter to his friend below that.

Yes, Son, I agree with John Newton and relate to his confession as did the Apostle Paul. Though we be saved, the common, sin nature is still in our flesh pulling and pushing us to yield to the evil lurking there. I am afraid we Christians have been led astray by preachers and other Christians who are still clinging to the false doctrine that somehow, out flesh is different from that of the sinful world; and we must pretend we are exempt from it's presence. That pretension is simply the delusion of self righteousness. It is the inner man, the spiritual man who is "born of God" and thereby "clothed in the Righteousness of Christ" of whom God speaks in 1Jn.3:9. "Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; (why?) for His (God's) seed remaineth in him; and he CANNOT sin,because he is born of God." This verse clearly states that the inner, spiritual man, which is what is born of God, not only "doth not commit sin", but "he CANNOT SIN". Any honest Christian KNOWS that he or she DOES sin, in the flesh, but hates it. Our "outer", fleshly man does the sinning but our "inner" spiritual man hates it. A truly spiritual life can only be lived by the Christian who yields his fleshly appetites to the Spirit filled, born again, inner, spiritual man who wants to walk "in the Spirit not in the flesh". "Blessed is the man unto whom the Lord will not impute sin". Rom.4:8. The Apostle Paul clearly infers that the sin is there but "the Lord will not impute" it to the Born Again Spiritual man or woman because the sin is in their flesh not their soul where God's Holy Spirit lives. Jesus paid for all our sins, past, present and future. Our sins were "crucified with Him" "Our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin." Rom.6:6. Paul also said, in Rom.7:14-25, the same thing John Newton, who wrote "Amazing Grace", said.

Paul's inspired words .... "For we know that the law is spiritual; but I AM carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not; for what I would do, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that is is good (it convicts me of sin). Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I know that in me (that is, IN MY FLESH), dwelleth no good thing: for TO WILL is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. For I delight in the law of God after the INWARD man; But I see another law in my members (flesh) warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members (flesh). O wretched man that I AM ! (present tense) who shall deliver me from the BODY of this death ? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin." "There is therefore NOW no condemnation (painful discipline) to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit." Romans 7:14 through 8:1. The Apostle Paul spoke it, of himself, in the present tense not the past tense.... Present tense .... while he spoke it. If our "flesh" were saved, born again, it would not betray us constantly, get sick, smell bad, get old, ugly, die and rot. The key is, to stay in God's Word, Pray a lot, and with God's help, walk in the Spirit with Him, not in the flesh, to avoid divine discipline and stay in close Fellowship with our Saviour. Yes, it is a struggle between Spirit and flesh, good and evil, light and darkness. "Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is." 1Jn.3:2. At the Rapture, these old dying and dead bodies will be resurrected, glorified and "we shall be like Him when we see Him". Until them, I Love you Son. Psm.115:1, Your Dad.

Here is John Newton's 1778 letter to a friend entitled, "Like Coins from the same mint"!

My dear sir, I could write a long note indeed, upon your very great mistake in considering me as a great man. If we could have a personal interview -- I think you would be quickly undeceived ! Ah! how different I am -- from what perhaps I appear to be to others when in the pulpit.

Your mistake, however, has done me good. A whole quire of invective from an enemy could hardly have given me so keen a sense of shame. The Scripture assures us that our hearts by nature, "like coins from the same mint" -- are all alike. I hear my fellow-Christians complain of evils similar to what I feel. Otherwise I would have reason to conclude that there could not be one believer upon earth -- so inconsistent, so evil, so vile beyond expression -- as myself !

Ah, dear sir ! what would you have thought of me -- had you seen me when I lived among the slaves ? The sight of me would have been offensive to your eyes, and my vile speech would have struck you with horror ! I was miserable and despicable in every view -- the common mark of scorn and insult! My whole wretched amusement and pleasure seemed to lie in blaspheming the name and person of Jesus, and in feeding my imagination with schemes of wickedness!

Some of my unhappy companions have perished in their sins-- who have just cause to charge the ruin of their souls to my account! for Satan himself, had he been upon earth in a bodily shape -- could hardly have been more industrious in tempting to infidelity and profligacy than I was !

There is seldom a day of my life, in which my thoughts are not led back to my former state of estrangement from Him, and that pre-eminence of wretchedness into which my sins plunged me !

Yet, it is of grace that my poor story is not much worse. The Lord is my keeper -- therefore I am still preserved. "By the grace of God -- I am what I am!" 1Cor. 15:10/

I am, dear sir, your affectionate friend and servant, John Newton, 1778.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me!
I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see!

Through many dangers, toils and snares, I have already come;
'Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,
And grace will lead me home.

The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,
The sun forbear to shine;
But God, who called me here below,
Will be forever mine !

John Newton.

Reprinted from Grace Gems

Pass it on. RB

1 comment:

Bob said...

Great encouragement from my brother and my dad :)