Apr 7, 2011

The Sin Of Satan: Self Exaltation/Self Worship

Common Sense Commentary: People are never what they appear to be ...sometimes better, sometimes worse. "...I say... to every man ... not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly ...." Rom.12:3. There is a long history of men exalting themselves or being exalted "above the stars of God". Satan was the first to do it and said those words recorded in Isaiah. After God created him to be one of only three Archangels, God named him Lucifer (God's light reflector, "son of the morning").

I. Lucifer (God's light reflector) , as an Archangel , carried the highest rank of all angels, right under the Godhead. But Lucifer was not satisfied to be so close to God and reflect God's glory.... he wanted to BE God. He was blinded by his beauty and power and became so self-centered that he said, "I will ascend into heaven..., I will exalt my throne..., I will sit upon the mount..., I will ascend above the heights..., I will BE LIKE The Most High God." Isa. 14:12-15.

II. Satanic Self Worship:
.......1. Pharoah was worshiped by all of Egypt. He even worshiped himself and shouted out, "Who is the Lord, that I should obey his voice ...." Ex.5:2.

.......2. Proud Haman hated the man of God, Mordicai, when he "did not bow down (to him) nor did him reverence ... Haman was full of wrath..." and would have killed Mordicai and all Jews except for Esther. Est.3:5.

.......3. King Nebuchadnezzar bellowed out ...."Is not this GREAT BABYLON, that I have built ... by the might of MY power, and for the honor of MY majesty ?" Dan.4:30.

.......4. Even today we see such self-adulation and some, otherwise sane, people hang on their every word and often even worship them .... Movie IDOLS, Athletic STARS, Political GIANTS, A Billionaire ORACLE (INFALLIBLE UTTERANCE) of Omaha, Evangelist PHENOMENON, Literary GODS, Father DIVINES, Masonic MOST WORSHIPFUL MASTER, MOST EXCELLENT GRAND HIGH PRIEST, and this one takes the cake from Grolier Encyclopedia ... Holy Father, Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Patriarch of the West, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province and Sovereign of the State of Vatican City." And this from the Catholic Encyclopedia Vol. VI "The Pope is of so great dignity and so exalted that he is not a mere man, but as it were God and the Vicar of God." "I will be like the most high...." Am I hearing an echo from the eternal past? Have you read of the lowly Jesus who was the "King of kings?"

.......5. Self-Aggrandizement is Narcissism. Synonyms of "narcissist" are egomaniac, prima donna, conceited, and self-centered. Roget's Thesaurus. A "self-centered Sociopath" synonyms are, schizoid, psychopath, deranged, insane, lunatic and psychotic. I think I know that guy. Synonyms from Roget's Thesaurus. II. Humility is the surest sign of the absence of Narcissism. The Apostle Paul was used mightily of God and wrote half the books of the New Testament. He was also highly educated, intelligent and maybe the greatest human being in "Human History". But, though he was authoritative as an Apostle, he said of himself, "For I am the least of the Apostles, that am not (worthy) to be called an Apostle ..." 1Cor.15:9. Then he went farther than that when he said, "Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given ...." Eph.3:8. Even Jesus, Emanuel (God with us) the Messiah/Christ bowed down and washed the feet of His disciples as an example of humility. People spoke of Him as "Jesus" not Doctor Jesus or Your Holiness, or Your Majesty but "Jesus", though He was far above any of those titles. I know mediocre preachers who insist on being "properly addressed" as "Doctor Spudannie" or "Reverend Hipockets". I always appreciated Jerry Falwell insisting on being called "Jerry" or, at most, "Pastor Jerry". Once a very young pastor of a group of ten people meeting in his living room, came to me wanting financial support. I had already decided to ask our church to help him .... until he said, "I plan to do exactly what Jerry Falwell has done except much bigger and better." Then I noticed he had never grown past the childish use of the personal pronouns, I, me, my, and mine. I quickly lost interest in his plans. Job said to God, "I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee. Wherefore I abhor myself and repent in dust and ashes." Job 42:5-6. Only when we see God will be see ourselves clearly.

 Pass it on. RB

No comments: