Feb 5, 2012

Dyslexia Is A Useful God Given Gift

Common Sense Commentary:

I have long thought that such unusual, pseudo "defects", as dyslexia and autism, if inborn in the child, had to be a God given trait of benefit and usefulness to the affected person and to society in general. My theory was based on reasoned conclusion and personal observation.  My conclusion derived from knowing that if God created and allowed to be born, a child with dyslexia or autism, it had to mean that He had a special purpose and place for that person and that trait, which is needed by the tribe, village or society's good.  My personal observation of many such "gifted" individuals, with a so-called "handicap", led me to believe that every human being born has something special to offer or to be received by those around them.  As you too have surely witnessed...  Here is a child with autism who is plainly limited in some areas of ability but is also plainly gifted in other areas which are related to his condition.  But such gifts must be accepted and cultivated. God does not make mistakes.  "...All things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose." Rom.8:28.

Since I first learned about dyslexia, I realized that I had a bit of it myself.  I've always
had trouble with reading and though I have read a library full of books, I am still a slow reader and a terrible speller. I failed the third grade because I could not read. However, I have also, since childhood, been able to mentally see the "big picture" of a thing or situation.  Another gift I have, which is mentioned in the  article on dyslexia, linked below, is peripheral vision and an ability to see in the dark. In the Korean War I was always appointed to lead the way at night because I could see in darkness and my periphery vision often picked up movement which neither I nor my comrades could see straight on.

Our educational system sorely needs a restructuring to deal with the differences in children ... and every child is different. Everybody is dumb in some areas and adept in others.

"For who maketh thee to differ from another?  and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why doest thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?" 1 Cor.4:7.

I must disagree with the author of the article below, who says calling dyslexia a "gift" is patronizing.  Actually, to call it a "gift" infers a "Giver" and therefore a "Creator".  Scientists often have that "handicap". RB

The article on dyslexia:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/05/opinion/sunday/the-upside-of-dyslexia.html

Pass it on. RB

1 comment:

Ron Blair said...

Great blog dad!!