Aug 18, 2012

I Would Feel Bad... But My "FeelBadBag" Is Full

.... and running over with Earth shaking FeelBad stuff ... already.  Every day I get ten to fifteen calls asking for money or support for some real crisis cause.  I mean the kind of stuff that will change the direction of history, kill innocent people, destroy America and bring in Armageddon.  Most of it is pretty close to true.  I even pass some of it on to you.  Today, I got another emergency call for help .... actually, money. 

It's Friday, August 17, 2012.  Two and a half hours ago, I got a call from one of my grandsons.  I answered the phone , and he said, "Grandpa, I'm in jail and can only make this one short phone call.  I was in a car accident and the air-bag broke my nose."
I thought, "So that's why he doesn't sound like himself".  He continued, "My blood tested at .09 alcohol and .08 is the legal limit.  I admit I had a few beers". Hearing this, I thought, "Now I know which of my many grandsons this is".  I called his name ....... "_____"???  To which he answered .... "Yes, _____".  He said, "I didn't want the rest of the family to know about this, so I called you Grandpa.  I was at fault and I knew I could count on you.  I have to have $3000 today to pay damages or I will have to stay in jail.  My time's up and I have go go, but I'll have my lawyer call you back in a few minutes Grandpa ....."  He hung up and a few minutes later, his lawyer called.  He identified himself as Thomas Goldstein, and with a lot of legal language explained the situation, and said he had made a deal with the legal authorities, the Lebanese tourist, whose rented car was damaged, and this man's insurance company in Lebanon.  The DUI charge would be dropped and a lesser charge,"reckless endangerment", would be placed against my grandson, if I would send $3000 to the tourist's insurance company by Western Union, which would only take cash and charge another $50 to wire it there.
I was to send it to Elia Demian at 1285 Hofssor in Fakra, Lebanon before my grandson's appearance before a judge at 2:00pm today.  He said Western Union would give me a confirmation number that the money had been sent and he would call back at 1:30pm, to get the number, before the 2:00 o'clock hearing.

Well, since it was 11:30 already, I had a problem.  Last month I switched banks to USAA, which is an on-line bank, so I had no local bank to run down to and withdraw the $3000 ... I didn't have in the bank. But I had another problem.  My grandson had not sounded like himself ... even considering his broken nose and being a bit drunk. Also, I had a bigger problem.  He had called me Grandpa two or three times and he always calls me Papa.   Still on the phone with his lawyer, I asked him what my grandson's last name was.  "Ahh, you know his name" he said.  "Yes, but do you", I said.  He shuffled through his papers and said he would have to call me back in 15 minutes from his office.  While awaiting his call, on our home phone, I went on line to find the nearest Western Union office.  There was one in the two neighboring cities. But I wasn't going to send $3000, which I didn't have in the bank, and Western Union won't take a credit card, until that lawyer could give me my grandson's last name So I waited for his call for 15 minutes .... then 30 .... then an hour... and now 2 hours.

It is now 1:50 and he still hasn't called back with his client's last name.  Now it's your turn.  You tell me ... was that my grandson?  I can't call him... he's in jail.  I can't call his lawyer, he didn't give me his number.  I can't call the police, I don't know what city. I don't want to call his poor mother, if it's really him, since he didn't want her to know .... so I think I'll call God and ask His advice ......... He said, "Use your head".   Come to think of it, I'm $3000 to the good in my FeelGoodBag.  If I keep this up, I'll be rich.  RB

1 comment:

Ron Blair said...

You're rich in wisdom, which comes from God and your own experience...which you paid for.