Mar 3, 2014

The Self Described Saint Is No Saint... But The Self Described Sinner ... May Be


Common Sense Commentary:  "For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think...." Rom.12:3.

Christian laymen should seek a church with higher, not lower, standards than they themselves have attained. But at the same time, no Christian should ever portray themselves as either more or less spiritual than they really are, but should just be themselves, at all times, and let God judge their relationship to Him. That said, nobody is exactly, precisely what they appear to be, but pretending to be more .... or less saintly than we truly are is deception and a false front.  Pretending "more" is common, but many a Christian has pretended to be less than they are.  "Give me an example", you say. OK, here's one from the top of the ladder ... Simon Peter for instance.  When he was accused of being a Christian at the trial of Jesus, "Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. Matt.26:74.  I have known Christian men who pretended to be motorcycle rogues, and dressed like a Hell's Angel, and acted the part out on the highway, but were normally milk-toast sissies. I have known Christian women who, for some dark, carnal reason, dressed like a harlot and pretended to be available though they never would have followed through ... probably...maybe... I hope not. The worst of sinners may approach God ... if he/she be truly humble and repentant. A Christian should neither raise nor lower their moral and spiritual standards to fit the environment they happen to be in at the moment.

If we cannot be completely transparent, we should at least be true to ourselves, honest with others and open to God. Even if it were possible to be completely transparent, that transparency would manifest itself in some outward appearance and would be misinterpreted by most people. Only God sees the heart. I would like to always be the person closest to God in whatsoever company I happen to be, but if I were, it would never occur to me that it was so, but rather, I would be repenting of my own faulty unworthiness ... with never a thought of self-righteousness.

To think one's self  highly spiritual is proof of the opposite. There is no such thing as a truly spiritual person without true humility.... and that is always accompanied by sincere repentance. The self described "saint" is no saint, but the self described sinner ... may be ....

"Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee (very religious), and the other a publican (not at all religious). The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.  And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.  I tell you, this man went down to his house justified  rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." Lk.18:10-14. 

Now isn't that something ? RB

No comments: