Jun 25, 2018

A Clean Mouthed, Hilarious Comedian, Bob Hope

He Made Warriors Laugh On The Field Of Battle.


I'm a month late in wishing his memory a Happy Birthday.
The undying humor of Bob Hope was 125 years old May 29,
2018 but is just as funny today as when he said it.

"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine...." Prov.17:22 
Comedian Bob Hope was born Leslie Townes Hope in London, England, the fifth of seven sons. His mother was an opera singer and his father a stonemason. Bob emigrated with his parents to the US in 1908. After some years on the stage as a dancer and comedian, he made his first movie, The Big Broadcast, in which he sang, "Thanks For The Memories". This, of course, became his standard closing song and everyone associated only with him. His most well-known movies were the series of "Road to ..." comedies.
During WWII, the Korean and Viet Nam wars, Bob Hope spent entertaining the troops in the field. In fact, when we Marines had retaken Seoul in South Korea and then landed in Wansan North Korea, Bob Hope was already there. He was loved by the military.

We don't know if Bob Hope was a Christian, though several denominations claim him as one of their own. What we do know is his political views, though, like his religion, he never referred to it in public. He did, however, to his family and friends. They all knew he was a Conservative Republican, but skewered both Democrats and Republicans. So his politics were kind of like my own. 
Not all Conservative Republicans are Christians, but the majority of them at least profess Christ. RB

Here is a sample of Bob Hope's humor:

ON TURNING 70 
'I still chase women, but only downhill.' 

ON TURNING 80 
'That's the time of your life when even your birthday suit needs pressing.' 

ON TURNING 90 '
You know you're getting old when the candles cost more than the cake.' 

ON TURNING 100 
'I don't feel old. In fact, I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.' 

ON GIVING UP HIS EARLY CAREER, BOXING 
'I ruined my hands in the ring. The referee kept stepping on them.' 

ON NEVER WINNING AN OSCAR 
'Welcome to the Academy Awards, or as it's called at my home, 'Passover.' 

ON GOLF
'Golf is my profession. Show business is just to pay the green fees.' 

ON PRESIDENTS 
'I have performed for 12 presidents but entertained only six.' 

ON WHY HE CHOSE SHOWBIZ FOR HIS CAREER 
'When I was born, the doctor said to my mother, Congratulations, you have an eight-pound ham.' 

ON RECEIVING THE CONGRESSIONAL GOLD MEDAL 
'I feel very humble, but I think I have the strength of character to fight it.' 

ON HIS FAMILY'S EARLY POVERTY 
'Four of us slept in the one bed. When it got cold, mother threw on another brother.' 

ON HIS SIX BROTHERS 
'That's how I learned to dance. Waiting for the bathroom.' 

ON HIS EARLY FAILURES 
'I would not have had anything to eat if it wasn't for the stuff the audience threw at me.' 

ON GOING TO HEAVEN 
'I've done benefits for ALL religions. I'd hate to blow the hereafter on a technicality.'
_________________________________________

Was Bob Hope a Christian? I found this response at Answers.com ...
I don't know if Bob Hope was a Christian or not as only he could answer that question. As with anyone, we can't look at portions of his life, good or bad, and determine the answer. If {and I hope he is} he is with the Lord today it is for one reason and one reason only: He has accepted the all-sufficient sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross of Calvary as payment for his sin and has accepted Christ's' death as atonement for his sin. So, only Bob and God know the answer. And if he is with the Lord, those of us who know the Lord as our personal savior will know the answer when we get there. 
__________________________
Thanks for the memories, Bob. RB

No comments: