Jan 21, 2011

If I Were The Devil

Common Sense Commentary:

As a pastor for thirty six years, people would often say to me things like, "Pastor, I don't understand what's happening in the world or in our country. Why is there so much division and confusion among Christians ? Why are so many ministers bringing reproach on the cause of Christ ? Why do good candidates for political office, after elected, become just like the other crooks and liars in public office ?" My answer would be something like this:

IF I were the devil, I would not "go to and fro in the earth" (Job 1:7) looking cruel and wicked. I would be smart enough to transform my appearance "as a minister of righteousness". 2 Cor.11:13-15. Only then could I lead astray the innocent, the young and the immature Christian. For these would never believe or follow an obvious, wicked monster. I would LOOK good, act holy and speak convincingly to accomplish my evil purposes. Mt.7:15

IF I were the devil, I would use the well planned and plausible sounding lie to mislead nonspiritual and immature Christians and cause confusion, discord, bitterness, jealousy, and division in homes, churches and public office. Jn.8:44

IF I were the devil, I would play upon the pride of sensitive and self-righteous Christians and cause them to sow discord and doubt in the minds of gullible church members. There are always a few folks ready and willing to believe and repeat anything bad about someone else. Prov.16:18

IF I were the devil, I would turn husbands and wives against each other with suspicion, accusations, jealousy and impatience. I would tell them to demand their rights and stand their ground regardless of what the Bible says. Eph.5:22-25

IF I were the devil I would make "evil" look desirable and "good" look unsophisticated. I would make good seem evil and evil seem good. I would tell people to "do your own thing", "do what comes naturally", "sow your wild oats", and "let it all hang out", "Just be yourself", "if it feels good do it" .... and I would do it all in the name of "Your Rights" and "It's only natural". Isa.5:20

IF I were the devil, I would use all my powers to neutralize, disgrace, weaken, wound or kill the men of God who preach His Word, defend His churches, lead God's people and love Jesus ... and I would do it from within his own family or within the churches if I could. After all, ministers are only human like everyone else and subject to the same sins. Ps.105:15

IF I were the devil, having failed in my attack upon God, I would attack those created in His image. I would convince intellectuals that the human race is nothing more than a large herd of evolved animals. Thus, I would attack the sanctity of human life and give people a conscience-less excuse to eliminate unborn babies and old, sick people like useless animals. And if we are animals, we have a right to act like animals. Gen.1:27

IF I were the devil, I would make homosexuality look "gay" NOT "queer", "normal" NOT "abnormal". I would make lying the easy way out of difficulty and swear there is no absolute truth. I would make abortion a RIGHT of personal choice .... and so it is, since we are only evolved animals and there is no God to judge me or you. Rom.1:27

In other words, IF I were the devil, I would do exactly what the devil himself is in fact doing and what he has always done. He isn't stupid, he is simply wicked. A host of folks are following his agenda and think it is their own idea. Yes THAT is what is happening in the world. So, what would you do if YOU were the devil, look vicious, hateful, nasty and wicked ?

Pass it on. RB

No comments: