Mar 8, 2011

Prayer Conversation With My Son, Rex

Common Sense Commentary: An e-mail came today from my son, Rex. He teaches a Couples Sunday School Class in Oklahoma. He wanted my opinion on a prayer question he had. Rex is also a veteran of the Marines during the Viet Nam war and has a son, R.J. who graduated from West Point, Harvard and Iraq. He returned to West Point where he taught Physics for two or three years. He is now at a High Tech Weapeons Lab or something like that. I can't get it out of him what he is doing there. Here's Rex's e-mail and our exchange back and forth.

Question:

From:
"Rex Blair"
To:
"Rayburn Blair"

I was trying to describe to our SS class members how important it is for us to pray for each other and I used this analogy:

I told them that I believe the Holy Spirit is everywhere and that as Christians, I believe we are in a way connected.

In other words if I’m praying for you, no matter how far away you are, it’s as if you are standing right beside me and we’re praying together.

As I’m praying, the same Holy Spirit that indwells me is also the same Holy Spirit that indwells you.

I spent many hours praying for RJ when he was in Iraq . Because we are both Christians I knew the prayer I prayed was instantly heard by the Holy Spirit in RJ. (RJ and I might as well have been holding hands praying together). To me that was a great comfort.

One of my Christian class members came up and asked me if her son, who was a non Christian, would also be in the same category if she was praying for him.

I told her no, the Holy Spirit only indwells us as Christians. At the same time, the Holy Spirit does hear her prayer and could protect her son as an answer to her prayer.

Dad, I'm not sure if I answered correctly. I would think the only prayer God would hear from a non Christian would be the prayer for salvation?

I would love to read your thoughts.


From:
"Rayburn Blair"
To:
"Rex Blair"

I have never studied out the idea of the closness of two distant Christians in prayer with the mutual presence of the Holy Spirit but it seems to me there has to be some truth there. I can't think of a Scripture right now but I have felt a similar thing as you. You are, of course, absolutely right about the lost son not being in the spiritual loop. I know it was hard to tell her the son couldn't be in the prayer circle to sense her or the Holy Spirit in prayer. However,as you said, when Mom prays for him, the Holy Spirit could very well stir his need for Christ and protect him as a special dispensation because of his mother's prayers.... Which you already knew. Wisdom for answers to such questions has always been a prayer of mine. A few words at such a time could have huge impact on a mother and her son's life. Love you my Son, Dad


From:"Rex Blair"
To:
"Rayburn Blair"

I remember you telling the story of your Mom asking prayer for you at a Wednesday night prayer service while you were in Korea . With thousands of miles separating you physically the same Holy Spirit in that church that night indwelling the believers was also with you. Amazing.



From:Rayburn Blair
To: "Rex Blair"

That reminds me of another story I heard in Korea. This Marine platoon was surrounded by thousands of ChiComs all attacking their platoon which was in a rough circle, hungry, thirsty, dirty, sleep deprived, and freezing to death. Their buddies were dying all around them and they knew their time was up and they would all die that day.Their platoon officer was doing all in his power to keep every Marine in place, supplied with ammo, and getting the wounded tended to. He kept seeing one of his men stand up and wave his hand in the air every few minutes. The war toughened officer was on the combat radio, with his company commander, demanding ammo and reinforcements, but seeing that young man stand up again and wave his hand, shouted out, "Shultz, keep your #%&*@ *#%& down or you'll be next to die." Reinforcements arrived and finally the enemy, badly mauled, retreated. This platoon leader approached the young man who had dangerously exposed himself standing up and waving his hand toward heaven. "Shultz, what the devil were you doing waving your hand in the air with bullets flying everwhichway?" The young Marine said, "Sir, my momma told me, when I left to go to fight this war, that when I was in real danger, and surrounded by the enemy, to raise my hand to heaven and she would be praying for me at that moment ...Looks like it worked, Sir." That wasn't me but I sure thought it. You were near being born about that time. Love, Dad


From: "Rex Blair"
To:"Rayburn Blair"

Thanks Dad

The Lord knew all the times we would fail Him and yet he still allowed me to be born and you to come back home.

God is so good.

Amen,Pass it on. RB

5 comments:

hayvanaq said...

Rayburn, thank you for sharing these e-mails between you and Rex. So thankful he has a father who can discuss deep spiritual matters. His last e-mail brought tears to my eyes.

Elaine said...

Beautiful!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the emails. It certainly gave food for thought. When God squeezes our heart, the tears flow from our eyes. That was a cleansing interaction between the two of you.

Ron said...

Thanks for sharing that dad. Another example as to why you and Rex are my heroes.
Ron

TShow said...

Rayburn, I offer scripture, Matthew 18:20, which says where two or more are gathered together in his name.........

My website "A Place to Pray" is founded on this scripture.

Tom Show