Jan 15, 2020

Words Are Important, But Hear And Speak Them With Prudence

Promises are easier given than delivered. 

"Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing ... therefore let thy words be few." Ecc.5:2     For God is listening.

Don't be too offended by critical words or too impressed by complimentary ones. Words are important, but do not put as much importance on what a person says, as upon what they do.  People often say things in a moment of anger.... or delight ... which they do not mean and will not do.

"Also take no heed unto all words that are spoken; lest thou hear thy servant curse thee." Ecc.7:21. 


If we pastors take great offence at every exaggeration, gossip and criticism of us, pastoring imperfect sheep will become too burdensome to endure feeding and watching over them. And we will fail in our calling. If, as a pastor, I had  been as picky about accepting imperfect people, as I was about choosing lumber …. with no splinters, knotholes, warps and other imperfections, nobody would have qualified to be in my flock …. including me.
"Also, thou son of man, the children of thy people still are talking against thee by the walls and in the doors of the houses, and speak one to another, every one to his brother, saying, Come, I pray you, and hear what is the word that cometh forth from the Lord.  And they come unto thee as the people cometh, and they sit before thee as my people, and they hear thy words, but they will not do them: for with their mouth they shew much love, but their heart goeth after their covetousness. And, lo, thou art unto them as a very lovely song of one that hath a pleasant voice, and can play well on an instrument: for they hear thy words, but they do them not." Ezek.33:30-32.
Our God is receptive to words of prayer and conviction spoken from a true and chastened heart. 

"Then said he unto me, Fear not, Daniel: for from the first day that thou didst set thine heart to understand, and to chasten thyself before thy God, thy words were heard, and I am come (because of) thy words."  Dan.10:12


We must not put undue confidence in the promises, pledges and agreements of others, but we must determine holy resoluteness in the accuracy and fulfillment of our own.   

"For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." Matt.12:37.


Our words must be filtered by truth and reflect who we really are. 

"I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle...." Psm.39;1



No comments: