Jun 11, 2012

Where Are We On God's Scale Of Good & Evil ?

Common Sense Commentary:  God's question: "To whom will you liken me, and make me equal, and compare me, that we may be alike?"  Isa.46:5.
Apostolic warning: "We dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some, that commend themselves: but they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." 2Cor.10:12.

Few men/women can judge themselves objectively ... all inaccurately.  "Objectively" speaks of an honest realist, "Inaccuracy" to unaware ignorance.  Ignorance, as in the fact that only our omniscient God knows the absolute contrast between good and evil, right and wrong.  He alone has perfect wisdom and infinite knowledge of the totality
of each persons true character and content.  Only He knows how truly evil our sins are and how wonderfully righteous rightness is.  Only He knows the precise extent of and eternal effects those two opposite extremes have upon each person and everyone around them. 

Apostle Paul said, "With me it is a very small thing that I should be judged of you, or of man's judgement; yea, I judge not mine own self." 1Cor.4:3.  Only God is able to judge us accurately.  We quickly judge ourselves and others with flawed, biased opinion and incomplete knowledge. We are but flesh.  Even Jesus said, "Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man. And yet if I judge, my judgment is true" Jn.8:15-16.

Though we be completely honest, in our self judgement, and truly repentant of what we know about ourselves, we still do not fully comprehend the true awfulness of our sins or the depth of our guilt, in the light of God's holiness.  Job, the near perfect man (Job1:1), when he saw God's holiness said, "I have heard of thee ... but now mine eye seeth thee.  Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes." Job 42:5-6.  We are incapable of such judgement and ignorant of the vast scale between our sins and God's righteousness.  They are eternal opposites, an infinity apart.  Jesus bridges that gap and delivers us from where we are to where He is... forgiven, clean. RB

No comments: