Dec 27, 2013

An Unpleasant Subject: The Truth Is, I Don't Love Everybody

Common Sense Commentary: Jesus, the Apostles and the Old Testament Prophets preached on many an unpleasant subject. Who am I to avoid such unpopular subjects? On numerous occasions, when discussing such subjects as serial killers, child abusers and dictators who slaughter millions or innocents, I have heard Christians say, "But we have to love them." As a Christian, I feel compelled to love, in an abstract sort of way, their eternity bound souls, once created "in the image of God". But to love what they, in their own free will flesh, have made of themselves, is another question. The whole truth is, I do not "love" them for who they are, not that my love counts for much.  I do feel a strong spiritual kind of compunction to witness Christ to all people, but no obligation to "love" the Hitlers, Stalins, Charles Mansons and other such devilish monsters in the world. Neither do I hate them since I know God so loved the world that he gave (Jesus) to die for all of our souls.... if we accept his salvation.  I have tried, through the years, to love all people and have sought to lead all who were receptive to know our Lord ... but have not succeeded in "loving" every single one of them. I do not hold a grudge or wish harm upon those who reject Christ. But I must be honest, I have known a few people I did not "love" or even like. I can love my enemies easy enough, but it is not my enemies I am talking about but the enemies of God and His word. I do not believe God "loves" Lucifer or the fallen angels (demons), or people already in hell either. They had their chance to love and submit to their Creator, but willfully rebelled and are now eternally hopeless. They, and all of hell itself, will be cast into the Lake of fire in Rev.20:10-15 ... "And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever..... And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." I cannot conceive of God continuing to love, for eternity, those who are being "cast into the lake of fire". Neither can I believe God will continue to love them for ever and ever, who have rejected Christ, and are eternally separated from Him, as Jesus professed in Matt.7:20-23 "Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."  Jesus later repeated that condemnation ... "Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.
"Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire" does not sound like love to me. The phrase, I never knew you", places those people in some sort of  anonymous, unknown status. God knows everything, but says of these people, "I never knew you". Whatever the complete truth is, about those whose "conscience is seared over as with a hot iron", (1Tim.4:2), it is certain that was not God's primary purpose for them and is not His first choice or fault that they are unbelievers and rejectors of Christ.  That is a matter of their own free will and choice.  All versions of the Bible agree on that point. Jn.5:40 "And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life." KJV.- "...and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life."NASV. - "And still you have no desire to come to me so that you may have life." Basic English Bible. And so on.

My admonition is that you, of your own volition, free will and choice, "Come to Him" and get to know Him. He will not turn you away. "...him that cometh to me I will in no wise castout." Jn.6:37.


God did not and will not choose hell for you; you will choose it by default. To not accept Christ is to accept it's consequences. Many preachers choose not to Preach on hell, and warn unbelievers of it. That also has it's consequences for that preacher ... and for those who hear him. RB




1 comment:

Ron Blair said...

Well said!