Mar 5, 2018

Betty's Christian Heritage And Her Vows To God

My sister, Betty's, Christian Heritage, arose from God's Spirit and Word, through our parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins, who lived by it, and passed it on to us from childhood. Betty accepted it, put her faith in Christ, and made her own vows God. He was her shelter throughout her life and she witnessed to every person she met. Those who knocked her door, doctors and nurses, salesmen, waitresses, her neighbors, and every relative at family reunions was going to hear about Christ. She was the most consistent witness I ever knew. She taught a Sunday School class almost all of her life.  Serving Christ was her life, love and Christian heritage since she was saved as a child, and He, in turn,   "led her to the Rock that is higher than I".

Psalms 61:1-5
"Hear my cry, O God; attend unto my prayer. From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the Rock that is higher than I. For thou hast been a shelter for me, and a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever: I will trust in the covert (shelter) of thy wings. Selah. For thou, O God hast heard my vows: thou hast given me the heritage of those that fear thy name."

Betty's Christian heritage, rooted in God's word, was her living testimony, and her rejoicing since she and I responded to God's call, the same Sunday, as children, barely old enough to know we needed Him to save us. She never turned back but grew steadily closer to our Lord throughout her life. She wasn't perfect, because no one is, but you couldn't prove it by me. I never saw anything in her but good. Her Christian Heritage was a treasure and the rejoicing of her heart.
Psalms 119:111
"Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart."

Betty lived her faith and heritage and has passed it on to her children, grandchildren, friends, family, neighbors, strangers and everyone who crossed her holy path ... including you.

Acts 20:32
"And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified (set aside)."
Betty's final hope and prayer was that each of you would take up her heritage, and make it your own. That you would make your vows to her God, accept her Savior, Jesus, and love his word as she did, and pass the heritage on to your own children and grandchildren and live your testimony so that all may see.

Acts 26:18
"To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith ...."
So, now, in memory of my sister, Betty, let us all give thanks to God for her example of the living Christian heritage we all saw in her, and give him praise that he has made us, though sinners, to be willing partakers of that holy inheritance which belongs to His saints ... in His light of truth.

Col. 1:12
"Giving thanks unto the father, which hath made us meet (able) to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light."

Betty would never let me say "Goodbye" and would correct me if I even said "Bye". She would say, No, little brother, not goodbye .... "I'll see you later".  So, you taught me well, Big Sister, I'll see you later.

No comments: