Mar 19, 2018

Choosing drug addicted punk rocker over Tommy Klotz

A contradiction so blatant as to be a Mystery

The account, by Marine, John Burch, of a typical assault up a Chinese, fortified mountain during the Korean War just touched a nerve and memories from my distant Marine past. I am reading my Marine friend, Dr. Jim Nicholson's book of his experiences in the Korean War when he was known, by his compatriots, as "Nick The BAR man". Nick stood out to his fellow marines as the man to have with you, in a fire-fight, for his phenomenal ability to cut down row upon row of enemy soldiers. His prize winning book, entitled "George-3-7th Marines", is full of the personal, combat testimonials of dozens of his brother's in arms. They were in G-3-7. I was in G-3-1 most of the time. Both regiments were part of the 1st Marine Division.

Many Americans, who would never consider taking up arms in defense of freedom, will say they do not believe in war, for any reason, and prefer to choose their heroes from among athletes, actors, politicians, rockers or rappers. I don't believe in war either, except in defense of freedom. The God of the Bible says, in Ecc. 3:8,   "there is a time for war",   and sent His people, numbers of times, to destroy their enemies. Jesus, himself, told His Apostles, just before starting a journey, to   "buy a sword", Luke 22:36,

Many wars are unnecessary, of course, but the Korean War saved the entire nation of South Korea from the horrors of Communism that have ravaged North Korea, under the heal of a despotic tyrant. South Korea is now a free republic, 25%  Christian, has one of the strongest economies in the world, and is one of the best friends America has.  Those facts earn those who fought and won that war the right to be considered true heroes. The same honor is due all those who have laid down their lives and wounded bodies to preserve or restore freedom from tyranny and freedom to live, work, and worship God. Neither "Ball" players, actors, rockers or rappers are worthy of equal honor.

Here is an excerpt from Nick's book, in the words of a fellow warrior, John Burch, about a true American hero named Tommy Klotz. Tommy's unbelievably selfless effort to save the life of fellow Marine, John Burch, while he, himself, had most of his foot blown off and was near death, was not untypical of these young heroic boys who proved to be magnificent giants in the fearsome fires of hellish battle. At the end of John Burch's account of Klotz's heroic action, Nick, in the fervent, aching passion of having witnessed such courageous, self-sacrificing heroism in his own experience, questions why America glorifies and hero worships people of the lowest possible degree ... as their heroes of choice.

Here is the excerpt about Klotz's heroism and Nicks mystified question: 

I followed Klotz down the trench. As I jumped over a man, something went off and blew me 25 or 30 feet down the hill. I never blacked out and I remember spinning through the air and hitting the ground hard. My head was facing up the hill and I was resting on my chin. I could feel nothing. When I tried to move, there was nothing to move. It hit me at that time that I didn't have a body and that I was just a head lying there with a brain that was not yet dead. I began laughing and couldn't stop. I was thinking that in a minute my eyes would close and I would be dead. I thought it would be funny because we had won. 

Klotz saw me and came down the hill to pick up my head. He stepped on a mine and it blew him for a flip. He landed on his chest, right on another mine. He landed right in front of me. Unbelievably, he got up and walked to me. He bent down to pick up my head and I looked right into his face. His face and chest were burned completely black and dark red drops of blood were trickling down his face. He lifted me by my shoulders and started dragging me. When my head dropped down, I saw my body ... I still had one. I also saw that one of his feet was blown off. He was walking on his heel.

The shooting had stopped now and I was able to stand. Someone helped Klotz and me off the hill.
When I rejoined my platoon, I was told that Christensen had been wounded for the fifth time. Corporal Klotz was badly wounded.... Of the 21 in the assault group, 19 had been wounded. One was killed and his body was not recovered. 

Jim "Nick" Nicholson's comment ... "Tommy Klotz ... ordinary, self-effacing, softly spoken Tommy Klotz. Where have you gone Tommy Klotz? Illiterate millionaires taunting, prancing, end zone dancing while thousands of frothing fans scream and roar. Mindless masses groveling at stage's edge for one look at cocaine-shooting punk rockers and rappers. In a world so desperate for heroes, why, for God's sake, don't they know you Tommy Klotz?

Nick's question might have many answers, but simply stated, it is not just an absence of logic, reason, justice and holiness, but a very prevalent example of vanity, injustice and Satanic evil. It is similar, though not quite as wicked, as King Jeroboam's illegitimate appointment of the most licentious incompetents to be Priests administrating the holy things of God to the people.         
"King Jeroboam returned not from his evil way, but made again of the lowest of the people priests of the high places...." 1 Kings 13:33.

No comments: