Apr 11, 2019

#1 - What Is God's Most High Name?


The Revelation 19:12 declares that   "He (Jesus) had a name written that no man knew but he himself."   The nearest we can come to it is the Hebrew word, YHVH or YHWH.

"And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I Am That I Am: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I Am hath sent me unto you." Ex.3:13-14. 

Psalms 83:18 declares "That men may know that thou, (God) whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth."

So which is it, "I AM" or "Jehovah"? They are the same.

JEHOVAH is the English rendering of the Hebrew word YHWH or YHVH translated over 7000 times in the Old Testament "LORD", "GOD" or "JEHOVAH" (in all caps) which is often expressed as YAHWEH. The Hebrew, tetragramaton,YHVH YHWH symbolizes the unknown, unpronounceable name of the one true God. Hebrew scholars added two vowels, A and E, to make it pronounceable. The vowel "A" was taken from the Hebrew "Adonai" which is translated "Lord" 500 times in the Old Testament. The vowel "E" was taken from the Hebrew "Elohim" which is translated "God" over 2300 times in the Old Testament. An interesting caveat is, Elohim is plural in form but is used with a singular verb. (The Trinity in the O.T.)

Adding the two vowels, "A" and "E" make YHVH or YHWH pronounceable but the meaning of this tetragramaton remains the same, which is, "He Who Is" or "He Is". Thus, GOD told Moses to tell the Israelites that, "I AM (He Who Is) hath sent me...."
____________________________

In 1869 the Jewish scholar, I.M. Wise wrote in his book, Outlines Of Judaism, "An English word expressing at once, "He is, He was, and He will be" would be 
an equivalent of YHVH (JEHOVAH), but it would have to convey the meaning ... also of causation. There is no such word in any language except the Hebrew word "YAHVEH".
_____________________________





"I AM WHO I Am" signifies that He is self existant, the only uncaused cause in the universe. Eternally self existant in the eternal past, present and future, Was, is, and shall be.




The Apostle John, who walked with Jesus and was "The Disciple whom Jesus loved", was given The Revelation of Jesus Christ in Rev.1:4-8, that Jesus was and is the "I AM" of Exodus 3.  He was not just "in" the beginning, He is the past, present and future, the all and in all "I AM".

Many Orthodox Jews not only could not, but would not pronounce even the vowel adjusted name of God, but would refer to him as Y H V H or G_D.

"John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to come .... Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood .... Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him ....I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty." Rev.1:4-8.

"I AM" uses the verb "To be"(AM). In other words, He is, always has been and always will be, the one and only great "I AM", the first person expression of "to be".  He is the only eternal constant. He says, "I AM", I pray to Him, "YOU ARE" and witness of Him to others, "HE IS".   "He that cometh unto God must believe that He is...." Heb.11:6.

Old Testament:    
"In the beginning"   ... God the Father, Son and Spirit were already there ...   Gen.1:1-3 "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.... And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said (Christ the Word), Let there be light .... And then God said,   "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness....(Trinity)" Gen.1:26

New Testament:    
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word (Christ) was God. "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made (Genesis 1). In him was life; and the life was the light of men.... And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, and we beheld his glory... as of the only begotten of the Father.... Jn.1:1-4 & 14.

Jesus laid claim to that eternally, constant name in John 14:6,   "I am the way the truth and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."    That will be my next Blog post. RB

A few of the hundreds of other names and titles of God


The "I AM" names and titles of God ...

I AM
I AM THAT I AM
I am a father to Israel
I am a great King
I am alive for evermore (Jesus)
I am Alpha and Omega (Jesus)
I am for you
I am from above (Jesus)
I am God
I am God Almighty
I am gracious
I am he
I am he that comforteth you
I am he that doth speak
I am he that liveth, and was dead (Jesus)
I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts (Jesus)
I am holy
I am in the midst of Israel
I am married unto you
I am meek and lowly in heart (Jesus)
I am merciful
I am the Almighty God
I am the bread of life (Jesus)

I am the door (Jesus)
I am the door of the sheep (Jesus)
I am the first and the last
I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob
I am the God of thy fathers
I am the good shepherd (Jesus)
I am the light of the world (Jesus)
I am the living bread (Jesus)
I am the LORD
I am the LORD, and there is none else
I am the Lord GOD
I am the LORD in the midst of the earth
I am the LORD that doth sanctify you
I am the LORD that healeth thee
I am the LORD that maketh all things
I am the LORD that smiteth
I am the LORD, the God of all flesh
I am the LORD thy God
I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt
I am the LORD thy God that divideth the sea
I am the LORD thy God which leadeth thee by the way that 

thou shouldest go
I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit
I am the LORD which exercise loving-kindness, judgment, and righteousness
I am the LORD which hallow you
I am the LORD, your Holy One
I am the resurrection, and the life (Jesus)
I am the root and offspring of David (Jesus)
I am the Son of God (Jesus)
I am the vine (Jesus)
I am the way, the truth, and the life (Jesus)
I am their inheritance (speaking of the priests)
I am thy exceeding great reward
I am thy part and thine inheritance (said to the Levites)
I am thy salvation
I am thy Savior
I am thy shield
I am with thee
I am with thee to deliver thee
I am with thee to save thee
I am with you alway (Jesus)

There are hundreds of other names and titles of God.

No comments: