Dec 23, 2020

My Ninetieth Birthday Prayer 12/24/2020

I see the numbers Lord, but still not sure I am 90.

My regret is, how much of 90 years have I wasted?

You know, Father, better than I, that I am growing old and will one day finish my course. In the time I have left, keep me from the fatal habit of thinking I must say something on every subject and on every occasion. Guard  my lips against gossip, exaggeration and idle talk.

Release me from craving to straighten out everybody's affairs. Make me thoughtful but not moody, helpful but not bossy. With my vast store of wisdom, it seems a pity not to use it all up before I die. But you know, Lord, that I want a few friends at the end. 

Keep my mind free from the recital of endless details. Give me wings to get to the point. Seal my lips on my aches and pains, They are increasing and the love of rehearsing them is becoming sweeter as time goes by.
 
I do not ask for grace enough to enjoy the tales of other's pains, but help me to endure them with patience. I will not ask for improved memory, but for a growing humility and a lessening of cocksureness when my memory seems to clash with the memories of others.

Teach me the glorious lesson that occasionally I may be mistaken. Keep me reasonably sweet. I am too human to be a saint ... some of them are so hard to live with. But a sour old person is one of the crowning works of the devil.

Forgive me of the sins of old age, laziness, criticism and complaint.
Thank you for neutralizing in me the more obvious sins of youth.
Help me to be more patient with the young and the elderly, both of which I have experienced and have not handled so well myself.

Give me the ability to see good things in unexpected places and talents in unexpected people. And give me, O Lord, the grace to tell them so. Help me, Lord, to sincerely love the souls of all of humanity ... and prove it by my actions.  

Anonymous except for my addition of a couple of verses and a few adjustments. RB



No comments: