Jan 1, 2018

Maybe I Will Do Better With Resolutions When I Am 90

I just turned 87 Christmas Eve. 
When I passed 80 someone asked what I hoped to do in my later years. My answer then, and still is, Be a good steward, an active witness for Jesus, a faithful ambassador for God, a loving husband, and father, a stalwart patriot, an aggressive enemy of the enemies of God, and a sweet old man to everyone else.

I know I haven't lived up to all those things, but here comes another New Year's Resolution opportunity. Maybe I will do better in my 90s. That gives me three more years of practice.

One other thing I hope to be is plain spoken. There is a worldwide plague of wind-bag diplomacy backed up by lies and deceit. We are even seeing Major News Networks headlining "Fake News" as policy. Being honest and plain-spoken is in short supply. So, in a world of suddenly noticed sexual harassment, which has long been obvious in some men, and even women, I pray that while we clean house and clear the air, we don't allow our anger to drive us to accept false accusations against the not guilty. We have already seen enough exaggeration in racism accusations, police brutality accusations, politics, and in almost every other area of this society. ... Fulltime, well practiced, and expert bandwaggon accusers. 

From my viewpoint, there are basically three types of women ... judging by their reaction to the way a man deals with them or with other women around them. The three reactions are, (1) If a man ignores them they are sure he is either anti-women, sick, in pain or a homosexual. (2) If he notices them, smiles, or holds the door for them or offers an innocent, innocuous comment, she is sure he is either flirting, showing off, or being sexually suggestive. (3) Then there is the well-balanced woman who sees men for what they are, less perfect human beings. She appreciates the open door, is kind to little boys and elderly men, and knows the difference in a real gentleman and a lecherous cad, and where to kick the cad. She neither feels intimidated nor compelled to return a smile, frown or say a word. She is secure within herself and doesn't need to prove anything. She may have aspirations as a homemaker, some equally hi-tech profession, or whatever God chooses to make her. She may be a Proverbs 31 woman, a Judges 4&5 Deborah, a Book of Esther Queen, an Acts 16:14 Lydia businesswoman, or a Judges 4:17-22 Jael with a "nail". But whatever else she may be, she is a lady and is thankful to be a woman. If some boorish idiot forces himself on her, she either screams, kicks, bites, and scratches his eyes out ... or pulls the trigger on her little pink 22 "Jael's nail". A peanut sized piece of lead can make you dead. Either way, she calls 911 right then ... not 20 years later when all the evidence is gone. Happy New Year! RB

.

No comments: