Jun 22, 2021

That's Right, Old Age Ain't For Sissies

But it might make you one ... if you let it.

Someone asked, "Do you an Bettie get a little nap in between your day's activities?"  No, we get a little activity in between our day's naps.

This is my first time of getting old.  So I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to eliminate pain, weakness and impatience. I have tried metal knees, hearing aids, tri-focals, implants, pain medicines, various surgeries and even horse liniment .... the only thing that works on me.  I don't know what that suggests ... but I earned my bow legs, as a kid, riding Old Blue.  I'm beginning to think old age is simply the other side of that steep mountain I climbed in my youth.... And this side is all down hill ... but its not all bad.  Its true that in old age you lose most of your youthful temptations .... but, hey, you gain a whole new set to take their place.  I won't list the old age ones, they will find you soon enough, but truthfully, I wouldn't trade the new ones for the other ones. I wouldn't want to spend the next 90 years getting to where I am now ... almost to that  river down there in the valley.  If that sounds negative, it isn't.  Fact is, heaven has a lot more appeal to me than 90 more years in the world I see developing ... and read in prophecy

A final word I learned hiking the Appalachian trail. Climbing the mountain, with a backpack, exercises your lungs, heart and energy.  Descending it, with your load of stuff,  destroys your feet, knees and hip-joints.

Yes, I've done my hitch in life, and it was a good one full of excitement, accomplishment, mistakes, love of friends and family, and trying, or trying to try to do my best to serve our Lord.  So now, you younger than I are having your own opportunities... maybe in more difficult times. But that means even greater rewards for you ... if you never surrender to the unrighteous opposition and your own weakness. Make the most of your life.... for God. One day you will wish you had. Its your turn. RB


No comments: